Monday, August 11, 2008

In Honor of the Children of the Seminary Community

Yesterday out at the pool Dan and I met some younger parents and their children. One little girl is going into first grade. Her haircut, bone-structure, relative age level and interests reminded me of Jlyn (one of our neighbor kids at CRW). As I watched her play with her siblings, I noticed a group of boys Cade's age jumping off the diving board. Suddenly, I found that I had a huge lump in my throat. It has been a month and a half now since Eli and Natalie showed me a slug on the bottom of a rock, or Reuben dropped food which Henry probably ate. I am not up to date on the new words learned by Kennan, Hannah, and Hans. And when I start thinking about being deprived of Calista's smiles, my stomach knots. It is very hard to leave these beautiful little people. Though they never sipped wine with me, nor engaged with me in interesting theological and political conversation, their smiles, crying, and discovery became a radiant part of life.

6 comments:

Cari said...

i'm with you, krista. i miss all those little ones too. i miss hearing all the kids running around outside while we eat dinner. it's just not the same anymore. i'm glad that we have those memories to hold on to though: )

Sarah said...

i liked your post and as a parent it feels good to know that our kids bring joy to other people. that seminary community is something special and we were glad to have been a part of it. like cari said we have lots of good memories to hang on to and maybe we should plan a reunion?

The Kaemingk's said...

So on this note ... Safwat and I were talking about conspiring to plan a reunion, maybe next summer ... some sort of beach house or cabin or something ... something to look forward to :)

Alisa said...

Let me tell you, the kids (at least mine) miss having all of the adults around who cared for them so much and took such joy in them. It is like having an extended family when you are far from your own.

jennifer said...

I'm with Alisa! Kennan misses everyone, too...he mentions people from CRW often! So grateful for the memories we have...

Novenson said...

Thanks for this post...you are missed too! One of Hans' favorite things to do still is wander over to your "neck of the woods" and look for all his buddies (little and big)...he is confused at why all the apts are empty. Hans is always talking about "magic" these days. Like how the toilet scrubber brush holder automatically closes (that is magic) or how Purell disappears on his hands (again, magic).....he also just experenced magic shell for the first time!