It is a dangerous thing to write in the midst of grief - like trying to walk too soon on an injured leg. But my Grandmother deserves my family's grief. Her full life deserves the joy of celebration and the lament of such a life ending. She died this morning at the age of 86 in the presence of Captain Carter - her husband of 57 years.
It is sad to imagine the end of things. I imagine the end of chocolate chip cake, carmel bars, college care packages, her love of bright colored clothing and the little giggle that I associate with her dominating reign over our world of pinochle. Imagining the end of these things from here in Ohio is almost as difficult as it will be to experience the loss when we enter their Interlochen home and find it saturated with her memory, but not her physical presence.
But that same power of imagination can create the past and not just the future. It can conjure up the good times and the life of Lorene Carter, a life worth imagining, worth celebrating .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Krista, I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for your family.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Dan and Krista. What a wonderful tribute. We are so sorry for your loss but really appreciate you sharing what is going on. Hearing about your Grandma and your family's pinochle pow-wows is something I enjoyed out at the picnic tables in Princeton. I Wish we could reach through this blog and give you both a big hug, but we can't. So please hug each other extra tight for us!
We love you guys and are praying for you.
Dan, we are so sorry for your loss -- it is always so sad to say good bye to someone who really shaped who you are. We're praying for you guys.
Post a Comment