Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back when we were hatched

Lately I have been laughing at my students. Here is one of my top moments:

Today in my small-group reading center I was working with a group of all boys. We read a 5 page book entitled "A Frog's Life." On page one, the book read "I am in an egg." Andres pointed out that it would be funny if he had been in an egg. I should have let it pass...but the teacher in me felt it important Andres be given accurate information. So I said, "You were an egg once."

All the boys were like, "NO way, Mrs. Carter!"
"It's true," I said, "You were an egg smaller than the point of a pencil in your mom."

Luckily, the discussion did not go much farther. They wanted to know how small. They wanted me to draw a dot on the board the size of the egg they once were. I did. Then Andres, with his classic timing said, "I still remember when my little brother was hatched."

1 comment:

jennifer said...

haha!! That is great! I miss teaching for a number of reasons...but this is one of them! Kids say the funniest things!