We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with both of our families. My (Dan's) parents and sister came and then Krista's parents and brother came for visits. It was the first time that Krista and I had more than two days off together since March (not counting time off for my Grandmother's funeral). Needless to say, it was extremely restful and refreshing. We ate and talked and slept and that's about it. Hallelujah.
Now Krista is on her way back from a visit to Holland, MI. Her sister, Laura, is getting married in May and the girls went wedding dress shopping. I am awaiting her arrival and am very excited to have her back in Hamilton!
Amidst all the change, the church politics, and rushing around, there has been one moment each month that has been healing and refreshing for me: serving communion. It is one of the great honors of my life to serve the bread during worship (during intinction, of course - it's the way to go!) . It is a strange and wonderful moment to see the line of people. Today it overwhelmed me to think of the incredible claim that I am making when I repeat "the body of Christ, broken for you." I said it to the down syndrome man in the front row. I said it to the band leader who always holds my hand, overcome with emotion. I said it to the woman whose children are in abusive relationships. I said it to the county commissioner. I proclaimed that word to the father who had just screamed at his three-year-old. I spoke these words to the two teenagers who were still shell-shocked from their car accident the day before. I took a deep breath, looked straight into his eyes and said it to the man who is an adulterer - "the body of Christ, broken for you."
All this broken life staggering in to find grace. It is beautiful. And I am so thankful to be a part of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's awesome Dan. I have to admit that I am just learning to really appreciate everything that the Table is meant to be - especially from a liturgical perspective. After reading about it so much this week, it's refreshing to hear the real life-lived out-ness of it. Thanks. We miss you guys and these kinds of talks.
Dan,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Lord's Supper. I really enjoy presiding at the table. I am looking forward to Christmas Eve (which is the only time that the church has traditionally had communion by intinction). I am working up the courage to talk with the Worship and Sacraments Committee about the way we celebrate the Lord's Supper. I am so glad to hear that you are so connected to the congregation through the celebration of the sacrament.
I am looking forward to reading J.K. Rowling's "The Tales of Beetle the Bard" over Christmas. I am sure you and Krista will be reading it if you haven't already. Let me know what you think.
Have you taken your vacation days yet. I recommend that you use them so that the congregation doesn't get used to you not using them. One of the best benefits about being a Presbyterian Pastor is the automatic vacation days. Sorry for the long comment - I'll do better next time.
We miss yall (I had to throw in the Texas twang)!
I really enjoyed thinking about "Christ's body, broken for me." Even with my faults, added into the faults you listed there, it was still enough. And for that, I'm glad. I've been attending a Church of Christ for all my life, and communion is a part of every Sunday service. I sometimes think about how the wonder of communion may be lost on those of us who take it every Sunday, but at least for this week, I have something more to think baout during those reverant, quiet moments at church.
Post a Comment