Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in the Midwest

This morning is Dan's first day of work. I am tucked away in our downtown coffee shop trying not to be annoyed that the girl who made my drink pulled the shots way before the milk finished steaming. Oh, and I'm trying to find a job (and of course update you).

It is good to be back in the Midwest. People aren't in such a hurry. All of the virtues with capitol letters, Truth, Kindness, Hospitality, Gentleness are found here more easily. We may begin conversations with strangers and they will continue to reply. The guy (Joe) in the check-out at Meijer remembers us and waves every time. I haven't heard one honk, even in bad traffic. The lady at the gym told me to go there as a visitor (for which I do not need a pass) until the price drops on the 7th. I am convinced people smile more and a couple of people at the church have casually dropped the "L" word when saying goodbye to us. That would never happen in Jersey!

Of course, it isn't all sunshine and flowers. Everybody is white and speaks English and listens to either rock, pop, christian, or country music. People are not as into jazz, alternative, show tunes, Latino hip-hop, bollywood, etc. Everyone here is a Republican except for a few resilient souls who proudly whisper "I've been campaigning for Obama!" I haven't seen one impeach Bush, or stop the war bumper sticker (family, I know most of you are Republicans I am noting the differences between places, not trying to tear down your thoughtful political opinions.) One thing which has really rocked my world is that our entire apartment complex has no recycling. All those cardboard boxes from our move have to be thrown away.

Within all of these distinct flavors, remain the steadfast confirmations, arriving in so many ways, that this place is indeed the place God has for us. Ministry opportunities abound. We see them in river which divides the wealthy from the poor, and in the Latino families who live in fear of the local Sheriff. We see opportunities in the faces of the youth at church - who have attached to us so instantly and are yearning for someone to walk along through life beside them, asking the hard questions and listening. We are finally out of the academic bubble of Princeton and we are so ready to serve.

Much love to you all.

Krista

6 comments:

The Kaemingk's said...

Krista this is so thoughtful. We miss you guys and are praying for you.

Wing said...

Krista -
What's the "L" word...I couldn't figure that out...

And also, I almost shed a tear when I learned that you have NO recycling at your new place. It inspired me to post a picture on our blog (soon) of the comparison of size between my garbage can, yard waste bin, and recycling bin.

Anyway...glad to hear that you're feeling like God has placed you and Dan in a new home. :)

Sarah said...

Krista,

We miss you guys too and love the perspective you give to the life God has for you right now.

Cari said...

miss you lots! you have such a great attitude about all that has been going on for you guys. i know God will bless you guys. know we are praying for you guys!

jenny said...

Our town has no curbside recycling, but we can take our stuff to the city recycling center. I had promised the kids they could get all the money from our aluminum cans, but since I've rinsed them all myself, I think I'm going to get the money. :-) Sometimes boy scouts or girl scouts will have recycling drives. All that to say, maybe *somewhere* in your town you can get your stuff recycled!

We have a pretty sharp divide between our more "diverse" town and the next town south. It's interesting to see people's perceptions. Wherever you are, there are places to minister and ways for you yourself to grow.

jennifer said...

Our town doesn't have curbside recycling either!! And no dumpsters anywhere in the town either. I am pretty bummed and don't quite know what to do with myself. Hope the job thing works out for you!