Wednesday, September 3, 2008

School

I only have a few minutes to post, but I thought I would update you all about school. First graders here are definitely different than the Princeton kids, both academically and behaviorally. Some of them don't know how to form all of their letters and numbers, let alone being able to attach sounds to letters. So far my low point has been suspending a student on day 3 of school for telling his classmates, "I'm gonna kill ya'll, I'm gonna hurt ya'll." and aggresively approaching them. Tomorrow I meet with my principal and his mom...we'll see how that goes.

I find myself feeling like a first year teacher again, but I also have moments where I remember that this is year 4 and I do know a few things about how the job works. My high point so far was my students telling me what they want to be when they want to grow up - we have everything from teacher to artist to construction worker to cop. Some of the classmates weren't so fond of the police idea. I have been able to use Spanish with my students and I love doing this. I love reading them books with a few Spanish words tossed in and they love listening to these books.

I hope to have my suspended student back tomorrow - your prayers would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're on the front lines! We're praying for you. Just think of the stories you'll be able to tell...it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Cari said...

i'll say it sounds quite different from princeton! a whole new set of issues to deal with. let us know how it goes when the child returns. we will be praying for you. i'm sure you are doing a great job!!

jennifer said...

This sounds like what I had to deal with teaching here in Texas! Princeton was a whole different world!! You are a great teacher and I know those kids love you already!