OK, so the honeymoon phase is over:
Our brilliant plan to rent an apartment for awhile whilst we figure out how to buy a home and which one to buy has backfired in a serious way.
Our apartment is smoky. No, we have not become chain smokers...other people in our building are and the building has central air. After one night of scratchy throat, smoke nausea we thought to ourselves, "No problem, we will get another apartment."
Little did we realize that this is no easy task. All the apartments we have called allow smoking in individual units. Apparently this is just how life in Hamilton works, but it doesn't work so well for us and our picky, asthmatic selves. So we find ourselves in a bind. Do we try to buy a house NOW if that is even possible and live out of a room or two while hiring people to fix it up? Because the neighborhood we want to live in does not have amazing ready to live in houses. Do we suck it up? Do we live out of our car or camp or spend as much time as possible away? Do we tape over all the vents and go crazy trying to stop the smoke from leaking through? Do we become addicted to smoking in hopes we'll fit in better here and not mind the smell? We welcome your advice, humorous comments, bad puns, and empathetic emotions.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I say bag the house idea and go for an RV. I could just see you and Dan in an RV park. Your special home could be ready immediately.
For what it's worth, even without asthma, I could not live in a smokey home. I don't know if a free standing home air filtration system would work or not. Cha-ching.
My favorite part is the "label". You guys have not so great smoke luck!
So sorry to hear your struggles! I'm surprised you noticed--especially after both of you are so smoking hot.
Alternative solutions:
-wear masks 24/7, except when making out
-buy dust mite filters for vents, since they might work on smoke too
-invest in a sonic air cleaner
-gather a petition for a smoking ban in Hamilton (NY and Philly did it...could Hamilton be next???)
-call the American Lung Association and complain
-call Princeton and claim the smoke is hurting your prayer life...blame them for not training you well as a Shadrack, Meshak, and Abendigo figure type.
Oh no! That is awful. I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I don't know...living in a house is pretty amazing!! :)
This is aunt Betsy talking. you sleep in this place and therefore, you are breathing the air at least6-8 hours as day. this is a great health hazzard to you both. I don't know what you can do immediately but you must change something. It's not just the annoying smell it is damaging your lungs. I'm not sure that a house that is old and in need of repair is the right answer either. You may have to alter your original plans and see what God has in store for you. Sometimes all the planning and great ideas that we have are not compatable with what is meant to be our destiny. (you know, "the best laid pl;ans of mice and men....) Good luck hope things get better for yoPS I had to use Jenny's id because I could not be anonymous.
Post a Comment